Characteristics and Skills of Artists
From OpenContent Curriculum
Describes necessary personal characteristics and skills of artists.
- Students need to know that artists are observant of their surroundings.
- Students need to know that each artists develops skills to create their specific art. (e.g. what season to pick the grass, how to pick the grass, how to dry the grass, how to dye the grass, weaving the grass into a basket)
Expectations and activities may look different in each village.
ABLE TO DO
- Student needs to be able to describe how artists develop self-discipline through rehearsal, practice, and revision.
- Student needs to be able to describe how artists appropriately use new and traditional materials, tools, techniques, and process in the arts.
- Student can tell how artists demonstrate creativity and imagination necessary for innovative (new)thinking and problem solving.
- Students are able to tell how artists work with others to create a work of art (e.g. dance, play, or craft)
JabberwockyGraphics.com Artist Brad W. Foster takes you on a "trip" through the development of one of his art pieces. He discussed the steps he takes, and the techniques he uses. Great as an example of the importance of shapes, sketching, specific research, rough drafts and using shadows.
multimedia art book "Eskimo Drawings" edited by Suzi Jones
What it takes to be an Artist From this page scroll down and click on Key Word. From the Keyword tab scroll down to the words What it takes and click on that. This will bring up multiple video interviews with different artists explaining what it takes to be an artist in different music genres.
Characteristics of an Artist This is an article from the star tribune on the different characteristics it takes to be an artist.
PROJECTS AND ACTIVITIES:
Elder and Artist Interviews A multi-week unit involving the following standards: CA6.4, CA6.8, CA7.8, CA7.9 and PS6.7, PS6.9, PS7.6, PS 7.7