From OpenContent Curriculum
Return to Electives
JN4 Journalism ELI
JN4.1 Journalistic style: Able to write in a journalistic style (i.e. including the 5 W's and key events), producing a minimum of 4 proficient samples
JN4.2 Media forms: Able to document events through various forms of media: written notes, photographs, and audio recording
JN4.3 Graphic design: Able to use graphic design programs to create and use a newspaper layout
JN4.4 Exhibits flexibility: Able to exhibit flexibility with time outside of school to attend events and/or schedule interviews
JN4.5 Organizational responsibility: Able to responsibly take orders from and give progress reports to the editor-in-chief (teacher) regarding assignments
JN4.6 Working collaboratively: Able to work collaboratively with co-workers (classmates)
CE17 Video Technology
CE17.1 Demonstrate effective use of video and digital camera
CE17.2 Create storyboard
CE17.3 Import digital media
CE17.4 Build movie from video clips and photos
Students will know parts of a camera and purpose
- Exposure length
Students will understand the concepts of photography:
- Centering/ rule of 3rds
- Light/vs Dark
Student will display competency with Photoshop:
- Text boxes
- Page composition
Student will create two yearbook pages:
- 1 class page, with consistent sizes, correct spelling
- 1 sport/activity/event page with appealing layout, fair treatment of participants, and correct word use.
- Student will advertise for literary works to be submitted.
- Student will create an overall layout for magazine.
- Submitted work will be formatted in a publishing program (pages, word, photoshop)
- Student will contract with school for purchase of printer paper and use of copier.
- Student will comparison shop and purchase cardstock for covers of books.
- Student will competently run the copy machine.
- Using the binder, the student will bind all pages plus cover into book
- Student will sell copies of the magazine to offset cost.