NUM: Negative numbers, exponents
From OpenContent Curriculum
Back to Math_Level_4
Return to main Math page
(A1.2.1) Understands concepts of negative numbers.
- Numbers exist on both sides of zero on a number line.
- Know the numbers left of zero are called negative numbers.
- Know the concept of the opposite value of a numerical value.
ABLE TO DO
- Able to identify negative numbers
- Able to graph negative numbers on a number line.
- Able to find the opposite of a numerical value.
Use a large number line, either printed out or written on whiteboard/chalkboard that is big enough for students to place numbers in the spaces. Vary the number lines, for instance, start with spacings of one to two digits and then move up to larger numbers, like counting by fives and tens. Students are given numbers, both positive and negative, to place in the correct spot on the number line. If you have a magnetized board, you can put a sticky backed magnet strip on each laminated number to use again and again, or just give the students tape.