Post Secondary Vocational Opportunities
From OpenContent Curriculum
This page is a work in progress that details many of the options available for hands-on vocational education for Alaskans after High School. PLEASE CLICK ON FOLLOWING PAGE LINKS FOR THE INFORMATION!
Interested in an alternative to a traditional 4-year degree?
Did you know that when you complete a registered apprenticeship program in Alaska, you can earn up to 38 credits with the University of Alaska. In addition, an apprentice who ... Read more
Can I start right away?
Yes, no matter where you are in life. If you are still in high school, School to Apprenticeship (STA) is an agreement with business, industry, education, government, parents and you, a ... Read more
What can I do to prepare myself?
Parents and school districts in Alaska have found the information contained in the career cluster model helpful, www.careerclusters.org. The plan or program of studies allows you to model your ed... Read more
What does it mean to be an apprentice?
Apprenticeship is one of the oldest methods of career preparation. It means you earn while you learn. Apprenticeship comes in all shapes and sizes. In Alaska, the greatest opportunities are in... Read more
Overview of Alaskan Schools CLICK HERE
This is the Going to College in Alaska magazine.
Vocational Education Tour
During the 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 school year BSSD took a group of students to the Anchorage area to explore career and technical education opportunities. We visited many of the training centers listed below. For information on the places visited by BSSD students please download the trip workbook. Voc Ed Tour Student Workbook
Senior Monthly Videoconferences
Seniors are encouraged to tune in each month for a video conference on information on post secondary opportunities. For the college bound students, we will discuss applications, financial aide, testing, and the spring campus visits to UAA and UAF. For students interested in pursuing further training is specific career and technical skills, we will explore the various training opportunities in the region and Alaska. Videoconferences will utilize guest speakers from colleges and CTE training facilities throughout the region and state.
BSSD Senior Trips
- BSSD Counselor Curriculum "What Can I Become" Lesson Plans
Math enhanced CTE Lesson Plans
- Download the math-enhanced lesson plans developed by the teams in August 2010 (35 MB zipped file)
- Very cool site full of fun resources for learning about trades with Actor/Voice personality MIKE ROWE!
BSSD WIKI CTE SITES
- Building sled
- Trailer Fabrication
- Typical Shop Project
- Vocational Education
- Vocational Projects
- Local Vocational Info for Shishmaref
- The ACTE Lesson Plan Library is your opportunity to share your most precious asset—your teaching ideas and lesson plans. You now have at your fingertips access to an entire network of career and technical educators.
- In this section, you will find a number of lesson plan resources. In addition to being able submit and search lesson plans, ACTE has also created a list of links to even more lesson plans, so use this section as a resource and a place to share.
This free science education program for junior and senior high grades provides 12 student workshops emphasizing:
- Hands-on learning
- Higher-order thinking skills
- Practical application of information
- The States’ Career Clusters Initiative (SCCI) is an initiative established under the National Career Technical Education Foundation (NCTEF) to provide Career Clusters as a tool for seamless transition from education to career in this era of changing workplace demands.
- STUDENT DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMS
- Opportunities for grade school and college students.
Click Here to go to Mechanics Links