From OpenContent Curriculum
Back to Writing_Level_5.
5.05 Writes a minimum of five proficient multi-paragraph writing samples in four different formats. (GLE  2.1.1, 2.2.1, 2.2.2)
Teachers should give direct instruction on the 5 Paragraph Persuasive Essay as that is the EOL assessment for this level.
- Characteristics and qualities of narrative, descriptive, and explanatory pieces
- Parts of a paragraph: topic sentence (contains main idea), body (details), concluding sentence (may sum up or transition to next paragraph)
- Parts of an essay (Introductory paragraph with thesis statement, body paragraphs with topic sentences, Conclusion
- Proper formatting
- Possible transitions for each type of paragraph.
- When to indent.
ABLE TO DO
- Follow the writing process independently
- Can take one topic and create a plan for a narrative essay, a descriptive essay, and an explanatory essay
- When prewriting, can successfully clump related details and ideas into possible paragraphs
- Can identify and remove ideas and details which do not belong in a paragraph (ORG)
- Consistently knows when to indent
- Students will write a minimum of five writing samples containing multiple paragraphs in a variety of fiction and non-fiction genres such as creative, expository, poetry, autobiographical, explanatory, persuasive, business, extended analogy, etc.
- Ideas should be organized using appropriate structure for the genre.
- Where appropriate, writing samples should include an introductory paragraph with a thesis statement or controlling idea for the composition.
- Where appropriate, body paragraphs of writing samples should contain a topic sentence presenting the main idea of the body paragraph, and details supporting the main idea.
- Where appropriate, writing samples should include a concluding paragraph that reiterates the thesis statement, connecting the concluding paragraph to the introductory paragraph.
Note: individual writing samples listed in DART (i.e. S1, S2, etc.) specify the type of writing sample that is required.
The 'example essays' and the '6 traits rubric' for the level are useful resources.
PROJECTS AND ACTIVITIES:
A multi-standard/multi-level/multi-content area Project: Cultures Affect Each Other []